Crispy Fried Cod
Roasted fries complete this quick take on Fish & Chips.
Active time: 10 min Start to finish: 25 min
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 (6-oz) pieces center-cut cod or scrod fillet (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
Accompaniment: lemon wedges and tartar sauce
1. Preheat oven to 500°F.
2. Combine breadcrumbs, cornmeal, salt, and cayenne in a large sealable plastic bag and shake to mix.
3. Season fish with salt and pepper on both sides and, working with 1 piece at a time, put fish in a bag and shake to coat well with crumbs. Dip fish in eggs, then shake in crumbs again to coat. Transfer fish to a plate.
4. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy ovenproof skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high heat until hot but not smoking, then fry fish until undersides are golden brown, about 1 minute. Turn over, add remaining 3 tablespoons oil, and cook 1 minute more. Put skillet in the upper third of oven and bake until fish is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Makes enough for 4.