Fly Fishing – Fly Patterns
Hook: 8 or 6 Streamer Thread: 6/0 Black Tail: Mallard flank Body: Medium flat silver tinsel Underwing: Mallard flank Overwing: A few strands of deer hair from head. Head: Deer hair, color to match mallard flank.Note: Can be tied in green, red, yellow, purple. and in natural.
- Tie in mallard at hook bend.
- Tie in flat tinsel, then wrap thread forward leaving enough room for the spun deer hair head.
- Wrap silver tinsel forward, overlapping slightly on each wrap.
- Secure with thread, and then tie in more mallard for the wing. Tips should reach the tips of the tail.
- Lay a clump of deer hair between the wing and the eye of the hook, perpendicular to the hook shank. Wrap thread over deer hair, this should cause the deer hair to flare upwards. Make a few more wraps to secure deer hair, then whip finish, and head cement.
- The last step is to trim the deer hair to form head. The head should be trimmed to a small size and should be rounded. Leave a few strands of deer hair, extending back over wing.