Fly Fishing – Fly Patterns
Hook: 16-10 Nymph Thread: 8/0 Black Tag: Bright red yarn Body: Pheasant tail Rib: Medium flat gold tinsel Wingcase: Pheasant tail Thorax: Peacock herl. Gills: White ostrich herl
- Tie in bright red yarn at bend of hook for tag. Make a few wraps then tie off.
- Tie in medium flat gold tinsel for ribbing.
- Tie in a few strands of pheasant tail and wrap them forward, 3/4 way up hook shank. Don’t trim the excess butts from the pheasant tail body. The butt section will be used to form the wingcase.
- Wrap medium flat gold ribbing over the pheasant tail, and secure with thread.
- Pull pheasant tail butts back towards eye of hook. And tie in 2 strands of peacock herl, make 2 or 3 wraps and secure with thread..
- Tie in white ostrich herl and make approximately 2 wraps, then secure it with thread.
- Pull pheasant tail butts over the peacock herl and ostrich herl to form the wingcase. Tie the pheasant down with thread, trim off excess butts, whip finish, and head cement.