Fly Fishing – Fly Patterns
Deer Hair Dragon
Hook: 10-6, long shank Thread: 6/0 Black Body: Dyed green or brown deer hair spunLegs: Peacock eye Wingcase: Peacock eyeThorax: Seal fur, color to match bodyEyes: Black medium plastic eyes
- Tie in plastic eyes at the eye of the hook, by crossing thread in a figure eight motion back and forth over the eyes.
- Tie in 4 or 5 clumps of deer hair along the first 3/4 of the shank. Deer hair should flare out in all directions.
- Trim down deer hair roughly to get it out of your way, finishing touches can be done later.
- Tie in 4 or 5 strands of peacock eye for wingcase. With tips facing back over the body.
- Tie in 3 strands of peacock eye out either side for legs.
- Dub seal fur on to thread and wrap forward for thorax, right up to the plastic eyes.
- Pull peacock eye forward and secure with thread, and trim excess.
- Whip finish and head cement.
- Finish trimming deer hair to the shape of a dragonfly (darner).