Fly Fishing – Fly Patterns
Hook: 14-8 light wire dry fly Thread: 6/0 black Tail: Moose body hair Body: Spun and clipped natural deer hair Wings: Grizzly hen hackle tips Hackle: Brown and grizzly
- Tie in several moose body hair fibers at bend of hook for tail. Use a hair stacker to even up tips before tying in.
- Wrap thread over a clump of deer hair about the diameter of a pencil at beginning of body.
- Pull hair back and tie in another clump.
- Repeat step 3 until you read 3/4 the way up the hook shank.
- Trim deer hair to shape.
- Tie in 2 grizzly hackle tips straight up about the same length as the body.
- Tie in a brown and a grizzly hackle and wrap them forward to the eye of the hook.
- Trim, whip finish, and head cement.