Fly Fishing - Fly Patterns
Thread: 6/0 Black
Tail: Mottled turkey quill
Body: Gold diamond braid or flat gold tinsel
Underwing: Gray squirrel tail
Wing: Mottled turkey quill
Collar: Deer hair, spun
Head: Deer hair, spun and clipped
- Tie in a small piece of mottled brown turkey quill at bend of hook.
- Apply flex-cement to tail to prevent it from splitting.
- Tie in your gold diamond braid or flat silver tinsel.
- Wrap forward along shank of hook, if your using flat silver tinsel, you may have to go back and forth over the shank 3 or 4 times. Then tie off, make sure to leave enough room for head.
- Tie in a few gray squirrel tail fibers for underwing.
- Trim a turkey quill from both sides of the stem for the wing.
- Tie in as wing, and apply some flex-cement to prevent it from splitting.
- With thumb and two fingers lay some coarse gray deer hair directly against the side closest toward you.
- Make one wrap over bundle of deer with thread, and pull down tightly.
- Make a few more wraps pulling even tighter.
- Take an equal amount of deer hair as was taken the first time and using thumb and forefinger put it on the opposite side of the quill in the same position as you did the first group of hair.
- Make a few tight wraps.
- Whip finish, and head cement.
- Trim deer hair to shape of head, leaving deer hair tips extending back as collar.
If you encounter a problem or broken link, please contact the Webmaster.
© 1998 - 2018 This site built and maintained by WinningProductions.com